Friday, February 24, 2006

Those invading circles best watch out

Today, after school, my friend and I went out to a shooting range. It was the first time in a few years that I'd picked up a gun, and his first time ever. I rather enjoyed getting out there again, shooting at little circles 10, 20, 30 feet away.

I'm glad my friend decided to try it out. It was nice to get to refresh my memory on the mechanics and safety of the whole thing by teaching and showing him.

I don't expect I'll be buying a gun again anytime soon; I prefer to keep them out of the house where I have curious children. Still, I think I might start going to the range slightly more often, at least, what I can handle in my budget. It's a good stress relief.

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

I've been meaning ever since Katrina to go learn how to shoot a gun. It struck me that, if push comes to shove, you can't assume that law enforcement will be there to help you. Your post is a good reminder that I need to make that gun safety/lesson appointment.

Weary Hag said...

Back in the day (*smile*) I went to the range several times with my friends from the old neighborhood. They taught me all the goodies, like "how to hold a gun" "how to aim a gun" and "how to shoot a gun (and rifle)" ... it was great fun for me but I must say I wish they had mentioned the bit about RECOIL.

Can you guess how many weeks I suffered from shoulder burn after our little trips? One bruise was the size of a baseball and turned black, blue, purple and yellow before it finally went away. OUCH.

They said I must have been doing something wrong. I think they were just lousy teachers. :(