Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Olympic Spirit

In my last post, I commented about what I viewed to be a lack of Olympic Spirit by an American Medal winner. I'd like to contrast that with the following.

U.S. Speed Skater and gold medalist Joey Cheeks, in an interview after the medal ceremony told reporters that he intends to donate the entirety of the $25,000 the USOC is giving him to relief efforts in Darfur. I am having some computer problems, so I can't link the article, but it's on ESPN.com. He said, in effect, that the best way to give thanks for what you've been given is to give to others.

This, in my opinion, represents the Olympic Spirit, a person who does his best for himself and his country, and uses what he has to help others in the world. Joey Cheeks set an example to follow. Kudos to him.

No comments: