Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Bowl Yesterday

Yesterday, my wonderful wife and I loaded up the kids and went out to Memorial Park to have a picnic lunch with Nuje and his family. It was nice. We made sandwiches, took the children for a walk in the woods, which was noteworthy mostly because the wife avoids nature as though it were the plague. Then, we let the kids fly kites for a while. There are few things more fun than watching children with kites. They think it's the bee's knees. After watching the kids run laps in the volleyball pit (gotta wear them out), it was time to head home and get ready for the game.

Oh yeah, there was a football game last night, the Steelers played the Seahawks in Motown. As far as games go, it was about a B-. The drama wasn't as teneble as in some games past, such as the Giants-Bills in 1991 or St. Louis-Tennessee in 2000. The Steelers won, and I'm happy, because Jerome Bettis, one of football's class acts, gets to go out with a win. I'm disappointed, because the Seahawks, my hometown team for 13 years, lost.

And I wasn't impressed with the commercials at all. What is up with Burger King? Perhaps they've had one too many whoppers and it's affecting their ability to come up with any kind of decent ad campaign. The "freaky King" has to go.

And was it really the best idea for Hummer to have two Japanese Monsters in a mock-up of Tokyo produce the new, American Made Hummer? That just strikes me as absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway, it was a pretty good day.

9 comments:

English Professor said...

Commercial feedback: loved Dove--girls' self-images are important around my house. Laughed hysterically at Sprint "crime prevention"--haven't you always wanted to do something similar to a braggart blowhard? Very annoyed by girl popping out of her straps--so much for working on positive self-image.

nuje said...

Ya know, I'm pissed at TV. So much fuss was raised (and deservedly so) over Janet's nipple a couple of years ago. So the network puts a tape delay on the game so our kids won't be exposed to such horror ever again. But, then they show commercials for other TV shows or movies with tons of scary stuff that freaks my 9 year old out. When the commercials come on I have to turn the volume down. The commercials for these shows speak of kids being abducted, women being murdered or raped, etc. As much as my kids don't need to see Janet's nipple, they don't need to see that other garbage even more. I haven't had cable since 1995 and don't plan on ever having it again, BTW.

Steve, my arm hurts from throwing the football...Oddly, my right arm hurts more than my left, which is strange since I throw left handed. (?)

Kirsten said...

Steve, you stole my blog posting idea...the park. How dare you! :)

Nuje, I agree with you regarding the commercials that they had, but the demographics that they were trying to reach (18-30 y.o. males) were viewing in abundance. The dollar comes before children. Besides, we need to desensitize them and get them trained early to buy beer and burgers and boobs--keeps the economy going.

I know the BK King is creepy, but at least they don't have a singing, mangled, dead rat-looking thing like for the Quizno's ads a couple of years ago. I refuse to eat there now. I never really cared for BK, anyway, so no loss.

red.hot.mamma! said...

Oh god! I forgot all about the horrid Quizno's rodent! I agree that it is much worse than the creepy king, but at least it isn't shown standing outside someone's window, in bed with them or in the back seat of their car at night.

Cliff, where does the phrase "bee's knees" come from? I've been hearing it alot lately & I'm curious. If anyone would know, it would be you.

And I was on a plane during the Superbowl, so I was spared. I do find it disturbing when people tell me they watch it "for the commercials." Huh?

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kirsten said...

You're right, RHM. Maybe it should be the BK Killer king?

BTW, Steve--I'm offended by your remark that I "avoid nature like the plague." Just because I prefer indoor plumbing doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the great outdoors. Of course, it would be better with bathrooms. ;)

Steve said...

I never said you don't appreciate the outdoors. You just prefer the outdoors when you're watching them on television. With a blanket on. And coffee. In your pajamas. At noon.

English Professor said...

Nuje, you're keeping us out of your site?

Steve said...

EP,

Blogger was down for maintenance (again) last night, and many sites were unavailable. I couldn't get on here. At any rate, Nuje's site is up again.