Thursday, February 09, 2006

Sneaky Sneaky

Last year, the President was adamant about privatizing Social Security, and the response from the country was, basically, "no thank you." This year, at the SOTU, the President commented on how "Congress did not act last year on my proposal to save Social Security." He also asked Congress to "join [him] in creating a commission to examine the full impact of baby-boom retirements on Social Security in Medicare and Medicaid," and suggested that the commission would be bipartisan "and offer bipartisan solutions."

If that's the case, then why would the President, despite making no mention of privatized Social Security, would he surreptitously add it to his proposed federal budget?

Now, when I make a meal, and my kids choose to go to bed without eating because they don't like it, and my wife smiles as she tries to choke it down, I learn. I realize that my family doesn't want that meal, and I don't make it again. I certainly wouldn't make it for dinner again and serve it to them without telling them... ugh.

No comments: