Friday, March 31, 2006

Persistance

My children get the squeaky wheel concept.

Tonight, the little boy fell asleep at 7:50. I put him in his crib and let him to his dreams. I went to bed at about 9:30. I fell asleep at 9:40-ish. About 10 minutes later, I was awaken by the cries of the little boy. He woke up and wanted comforting (read: attention). After checking on him and laying him back down, my wife came and started getting ready for bed. This was, of course, completely unacceptable to the little boy, who voiced his displeasure at having to stay in bed by crying. We figured we'd let him cry it out, after all, he's tired, and we're tired, and by picking him up and giving him attention, he's winning.

That was right around ten. He's still crying (my clock says 1:11 am right now). He's not sick, he's just crying. I'm not sleeping, the wife's kind of sleeping, and the little boy is going strong, despite being completely exhausted.

Update - the boy finally fell asleep at about 2:30. And was bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning at 6:15. I thought toddlers needed lots of sleep... I know grown-ups in this house do.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Toddlers get to sleep whenever they want that's why they're not too motivated to sleep at the appropriate times.

Anonymous said...

Toddlers don't play fair.

Bellejar said...

I feel for you. We have recently been having someone crawl into our bed between us at 4 or 5 every morning. Could be worst, at least she starts in her bed....