Friday, June 30, 2006

President Bush said:

"The American people need to know that the ruling [in Hamden v. Rumsfeld, regarding military commissions to try Guantanamo detainees], as I understand it, won't cause killers to be put out on the street."

Hamden was charged with Conspracy to Commit Terrorist Acts. He was a driver for Osama Bin Laden.

I don't know who is in Guantanamo Bay, and I don't know what all of them did. I am more than sure that there are many in there who have killed or allowed others to kill. I'm also certain that there are many people who are there, guilty of suspicion of being a terrorist because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time or they "looked guilty."

While I appreciate what the administration wants to do, I disagree with their methods, and I believe that this was the right decision. I also don't like how the president phrased what he said. The above quote looks to me like a thinly disguised attempt to discredit the Supreme Court for issuing a ruling contrary to what the president wanted, almost as if to say "I'm trying to keep you safe, but those damn activists in the Court don't want that." Tact, decorum, patience, and diplomacy. These are what are lacking in our CINC.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Steve, do some research on Australian David Hicks. I'm sure as a law student you will find this case fascinating. Not ofr one minute do i condone his behaviour, however both Australia and America should be absolutely ashamed of the treatment. Nearly 5 years on, and he still has not been brought to trial......heavens, it took 12 months to even have him charged!!